Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Write With the Spirit

The Spirit is in Charge

Of the Plates of Nephi, Mormon said, "But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren. And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will. And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people." Words of Mormon 1:6-8 See also vs. 3-5 Emphasis added.

A blog is kind of like writing a mini Book of Mormon. These are our testimonies, experiences, and revelations. Since we are writing about spiritual things, we have to let the Spirit do part of the work.  In the scriptures, we're promised that the Spirit shall give us what we shall write, or dictate to us, if we write with meekness.

I've found that the difference between me writing a blog post and the Spirit writing it through me is astounding. When I've prayed about a subject, studied it in the scriptures, and given it the time it needs, I find my writing flows much better. It just pours out of my pen instead of being forced out. I am so much happier with the post I've written. That's not to say when the Spirit is helping you, writing the post is easy; it still takes work. The results, however, are far better.


The Power of the Spirit

Our readers must feel the Spirit when they read our blogs, just the same as when we teach. It doesn't matter how good of a writer you think you are; the Spirit will still carry the truth to your readers' hearts. Even Nephi didn't think he was that great of a writer.

One of the best ways for investigators to feel the Spirit is for you to bear powerful testimony, which they can read on your blog. Don't hesitate to share it. "Powerful testimony is not dependent on eloquence or the [size of your readership] but on the conviction of your heart.... Bear testimony often to seal the truth of the principles or doctrine you are teaching." Preach My Gospel, Ch. 11 pp. 198-199.  

To write with the converting power of the Spirit, follow these guidelines given in Preach My Gospel ("Write" substituted for "Teach"):
  • "Be edified and have your mind enlightened as you search the scriptures and [write about] the doctrine.
  • "Create a climate when you [write] in which the Holy Ghost can bear witness. You do this by [writing] and testifying of the message of the Restoration. [Write] as directed by the Spirit, and testify that you know by the power of the Holy Ghost that what you [write] is true.
  • "Follow the guidance of the Spirit in adapting the message to [your audience's] needs.
  • "Invite people to act. Their faith will grow as they repent, obey the commandments, and make and keep covenants." Preach My Gospel, Ch. 4, pg. 92.


Writer's Block

Do you suffer from Writer's Block? Do not fear, for we have the greatest secret weapon to combat this foe of writers everywhere. It's called the Holy Ghost.

If you don't feel good about the post you've written, don't post it. Jesus Christ told Oliver Cowdery, "But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me." Doctrine and Covenants 9:9 

Your next post will come. Just drop what you've been working on for way too long, pray about a new topic, and let the Spirit testify to you what Heavenly Father wants you to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment